Monday, April 28, 2008
Monday, April 14, 2008
As far as criticism goes for this one, I would say one thing it did like (at least for me) was personalization for it. I don't remember any major reasons as to why this creation of his was in fact somehow to be identified with him as a person, student, brother, or anything else. It could be that I just don't remember or wasn't paying too much attention as he explained, but I feel like if it was something that would have stood out, then I would have been able to remember it.
Again, though I think it was a solid effort. So, I would have to give this a grade of B (for Ben!). Good job bro.
Monday, April 7, 2008
Sunday: Today was more of a laid back day for me. I came back from a short weekend retreat today, so I was pretty tired. I came home to take a nap (which is rare for me), then went to a park and played basketball with some friends of mine. Then I came back to the crib and started getting some things done (seems like that's all I will be doing for the rest of the stinkin' semester!!!). My sister Michelle called me and told me that her and my brother Tim wanted to come to Indy for a few days to hang out with me and my parents. That was awesome to hear because I don't get to see my sister much anymore since she moved to Tennessee, and my brother just moved to Columbus, so it'd be awesome to get to see them for a few days. Only problem is that they would be coming toward the end of this semester and I may not get to spend much time with them because of work, classes, projects, capstone, and any other goodness. So, we'll see.
The second half of the class was interesting as well. It was cool seeing the pictures that Beth made. My favorite one was definitely the picture that looked like the huge, warrior in all black. It was awesome! The story about "Rose" was pretty freaky. As far as the in class exercise, my thoughts varied. At first it was frustrating coming up with something from the word "proof". But as our group brainstormed harder, we came up with a pretty cool concept which I was happy with.
Monday, March 17, 2008
- I think the single best aspect of this course so far is its unconventionality. I love the fact that I have no clue what we will be doing coming into class each day of, which causes me to anticipate what we will be doing. Everything we’ve done in class so far has been fun and/or interesting, which I cannot say the same for my other courses. Even though I may not agree with everything discussed in class, I have enjoyed it so far
- The single most important thing I want to walk away with from this class is how to apply the things taught/discussed in class to my future working field (if I am in the New Media field). It’s cool to learn about a lot of new concepts and ideas and discuss them, but I want to walk away with tangible application for the future wherever it may apply.
Monday, March 3, 2008
I decided to take scenes from two movies that are totally opposite of each other and switch the sound in them. What came to mind when thinking up this concept was the idea of writing the word "red" on a board using a green marker. What someone is seeing is being contradicted by what is in their mind. I feel like that same principle applies with this exercise.
The two movies I used were Elf and 300. I took a scene of Elf where he was being raised and learning the ways of an elf, and put it to intense music from 300 that is played when King Leonidus is being given Kingship towards the beginning of the movie. The music totally contradicts what is being seen as the music is very intense, and the movies scene is comical and innocent. On the flip side, I took a scene from 300 in the middle of the first main combat scene. The scene is very intense with violence and war. Again, the music playing totally contradicts this as it is joyful, happy Christmas music. To me, the 300 scene is hilarious with this music to it. I laughed a few times when editing it.
I guess the reason did this was to do something different that would make people think for a second. While it's not the most original concept, I think it just shows even how important music is in movies in general.
Monday, February 18, 2008
Though I wasn't able to post a blog for everyday of the previous week, I can post for how I am feeling today. Overall, I am feeling a little behind in some things. I am feeling a little behind in somethings. Mainly schoolwork (some classes, Capstone) and some other things, namely getting prepared for a summer mission project I will be going to. I've found myself thinking about these things a lot and just wanting to get caught up on everything. But, I've been praying and trusting God to provide wisdom and guidance in this hectic time and am confident that I will complete all things I need to get done in due time.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Monday, February 4, 2008
I didn’t enjoy the Robot Chicken videos. First of all, it’s just not my kind of humor. Secondly, the parody of Kill Bill with Jesus I found quite insulting. That in itself is a whole other blog, but for the sake of the assignment, I will just say that all in all I wasn’t pleased watching the vid. I guess I can appreciate the animation and the work put into it.
The PBS art special was very interesting I felt. I thought some examples of art were more interesting than others. For instance, I found the spot about the mechanical art (huge face emotions, water dropping in a bucket to a rhythm) was very interesting. It was new and innovative, and looked like an example of where the direction of art is going right now. However, the spot about the video editing (taking basketball player and boxers out of shots) was pretty cool, but didn’t quite hold my attention as much. All in all I enjoyed the video.
The Cathedral was awesome. That had been my 3rd or 4th time seeing the video. Every time I watch it I get goose bumps toward the end where the intensity builds up. I think it’s an amazing example of animation and storytelling. However, one of my favorite aspects of the video is the music, especially towards the end. It’s funny, because the first time I saw the video I was thinking how amazing the music was and how it perfectly fit with the scene. While I still felt mainly the same this time I saw the video, I noticed some things about it that were not done very well and how I could have made it better. I think it just shows my progression in the area of audio over the past few years.
What if everybody were selfless?
I believe if we lived in a world where everybody was selfless, it would look radically different than anything we’ve ever been accustomed too before. To be selfless would be the opposite of being selfish, which is being consumed with only what you desire and stopping at almost nothing to get that. In a selfless world, we would see people being only concerned with the well being of others, and stopping at nothing help out those in need. Eventually, I believe you would see a decrease in world-wide poverty, violence, and other aspects of our current society that we would like to see changed. All in all, I think we as people would be living more closely to the way we were intended to live.
Monday, January 28, 2008
2. What if everyone understood that they have a purpose in this life?
3. What if people thought logically about spiritual matters?
4. What if everyone lived their lives everday in light of eternity?
5. What if there was no evil in the earth?
6. What if abortion was punishable by death?
7. What if people cared about others more than themselves?
8. what if people took just 30 minutes out of the day to meditate on God and heavenly things?
9. What if everyone viewed sexuality as serious in the site of God and to be honored in
10. What if everyone made an effort to serve at least one person a day?
11. What if people spent more time reading the Bible than they do reading email?
12. What if people talked more to God than they do to people on AIM?
13. What if people viewed money and possessions as only temporary things that don't last?
14. What if people actually stopped to think about what Tom Brady said when he talked about
there having to be more to life than this?
15. What if everyone was given a millisecond glimpse into eternity?
16. What if everyone understood that God desires intimate relationship with his creation?
17. What if people lived for a higher calling?
18. What if everyone viewed the Bible as a light and guide admist the darkness?
19. What if people were not so concerned about what others think about them?
20. What if the majority of people hearing or reading this right now didn't see me as a
21. What if people were not afraid to stand up for what they believe in?
22. What if people were able to travel back in time?
23. What if life & existance on earth ended right now?
24. What if other's problems & concerns were more important than self-image in our society
25. What if America were to go under right now?
26. What if the average American had to spend the rest of their life in a third world, poverty
27. What if big name rappers were drafted to fight in a war?
28. What if we could never use the internet again?
29. What if we stopped making excuses for evil acts?
30. What if people realized that on average 2 people die every second?
31. What if everyone realized just how little we really are in comparison to everything else?
32. What if everyone understood the brevity of life?
33. What if everyone understood the absolute importance of thinking about what happens when
34. What if life wasn't about "me"?
35. What if you were not able to eat anything today?
36. What if everyone realized that they are breathing this very second for a reason?
37. What if we understood that the decisions our current generation makes will dictate the
future our nation?
38. What if time we were able to go back in time?
39. What if our current generation was taken back to live in the 1500's?
40. What if everything wasn't so easy in western society?
41. What if we told those who we care about how we feel about them once in awhile?
42. What if popular rappers were not the role models of many pre-teen and teenagers?
43. What if the average realized that many Christian rap artists are better lyricists than most secular rap artists?
44. What if New Media was only used to better the world?
45. What if we faced every single issue in our life instead of running away from them?
46. What if everyone valued family much more?
47. What if there were more men in the world?
48. What it just one person would think about the these questions?
49. What if this project wasn't harder than I was thinking it would be?
50. What if the average PC user would spend more than just 10 minutes "trying to using an