Monday, March 3, 2008

"What's the Sense of it all?"

The first thing that came to mind when reading this assignment description was doing something with the sense of hearing. I enjoy working with audio the most, so I thought it would be cool to do something different with audio. I wanted to do something that people would find interesting and that would also make them think. I also wanted to do something with the sense of sight since basically it is what we are all driven by.

I decided to take scenes from two movies that are totally opposite of each other and switch the sound in them. What came to mind when thinking up this concept was the idea of writing the word "red" on a board using a green marker. What someone is seeing is being contradicted by what is in their mind. I feel like that same principle applies with this exercise.

The two movies I used were Elf and 300. I took a scene of Elf where he was being raised and learning the ways of an elf, and put it to intense music from 300 that is played when King Leonidus is being given Kingship towards the beginning of the movie. The music totally contradicts what is being seen as the music is very intense, and the movies scene is comical and innocent. On the flip side, I took a scene from 300 in the middle of the first main combat scene. The scene is very intense with violence and war. Again, the music playing totally contradicts this as it is joyful, happy Christmas music. To me, the 300 scene is hilarious with this music to it. I laughed a few times when editing it.

I guess the reason did this was to do something different that would make people think for a second. While it's not the most original concept, I think it just shows even how important music is in movies in general.

No comments: